Saturday, June 30, 2012

June 29th -- Research success

First stop: Coffee Company
I needed to stay awake during class as everything would be pertaining to my research topic of prostitution.

Second stop: Classroom A2.01
We had class with the professors before lunch to briefly discuss the book we were assigned to accomplish for our trip, Murder in Amsterdam by Ian Buruma.

Third stop: Cafeteria for lunch
I love the fresh pesto and mozarella sandwiches made by the main cook, Tony!

Fourth stop: Lecture on sex work and prostitution policy
We had a woman originally from Canada lecture us on the subject of prostitution. She presented interesting information but held a bias view in that she had been a prostitute in her home country for about 9 years. She was very much for wanting us to believe that the prostitutes in the windows in Red Light District, brothels, clubs, etc. wouldn't have it any other way and that they enjoyed their line of work. I learned a lot for my researching purposes, but I wasn't buying all she was trying to sell.

Fifth stop: Red Light District
Our lecturer led us through Red Light District on an hour tour after her presentation. Though less of the "windows" were being used, I was surprised that the sex workers were there during the daytime hours. It is all so interesting yet so disturbing at the same time.

It was a long day and I chose to go back to the dorms and enjoy some much needed napping on my Friday night :)

(For reasons I explained in an earlier blog, pictures were not taken in the Red Light District.)

No comments:

Post a Comment