Saturday, July 7, 2012

July 3rd -- Busy bees

On the way to class, I brushed up against a plant that did not feel too well. A few minutes later, some itchy and stinging welts appeared on my hand. Luckily, they went away a short while later though I'm still curious as to what kind of plant it was that I touched.

First stop: Lecture
Our first lecture of the day was focused on the subject of squatting as well as on a biography of a Dutch member of a prison gang that our lecturer had written. It was all so interesting and before this lecture, I did not know what it meant to "squat" a house.

Second stop: Cafeteria lunch

Third stop: Lecture
Our second lecture was more of a question and answer session with a community police officer of the Red Light District. I was shocked at how focused on building connections with society and on the idea of community that the police officer was. There is an obvious difference between how this police officer sees his job and how the Seattle police interact with the people.

After this last lecture of the day, we were given our assignments for the course of our time here at Amsterdam. I have a lot to do these last two weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment