Thursday, June 28, 2012

June 26th -- Experiencing the streets

Little did I know when waking up, this day was going to be a crazy adventure every step of the way.

First stop: Hollandsche Schouwburg
As a class, we decided to take Tram 14 to get to the museum and then walk the remaining distance. We got off right in front of the museum. However, we did not recognize this. We were already late and had been walking for atleast 45 minutes when our group split because of a disagreement on which way to go. My group turned out to be right and arrived at the museum ten minutes before the other group.

Our tour guide at the museum (about the times of Nazi Germany) had been a young girl when the jews were being hunted in Holland and sent off to concentration camps. Her mom helped many jews hide and escape the grasp of Nazi in Europe. You could hear the emotion in her voice as she spoke of the harsh lives led by jews when hiding, trying to escape, and being sent to concentration camps to be eventually killed. It was a very real tragedy for her and you could feel that.

Second stop: Lunch in cafeteria

Third stop: Lecture on the history of tolerance in the Netherlands
I am not a history buff. This may well be the reasoning for me falling asleep frequently during this two-hour lecture. Boring.

Fourth stop: The streets and shops
There was a street market we had passed on our way to class and a few of us decided to go check it out. First, on our way, a guy walking towards us tried to kiss Kayla. When she swerved out of reach, the guy continued walking past us as if this was nothing out of the ordinary. If that wasn't strange enough, a guy yelled behind me and when I turned he snapped a picture of me and thanked me as he walked away. We must have been on a weird side of town...

Once I had gotten over my shock from the events that had just taken place, I bought souvenirs for my family and Vincent. I can't wait to give them their gifts! I hope they like them :)

Fifth stop: Grocery store
I was told food here would be extremely expensive. However, I have found that items are priced relatively similar to those that are comparable in the U.S.

Once back to the dorms for the night, the majority of our group met on the rooftop to eat and hang out. We have a close group that really enjoys eachothers' presence. It definitely makes being away from home a little easier.

PICTURES TAKEN 6.26.12




 


No comments:

Post a Comment