Monday, June 25, 2012

June 24th -- First Day

First day in Amsterdam = the meaning of the word stress. After a 10-hour cramped plane ride between Kayla (roommate while in Amsterdam) and an older gentlemen, Kayla, Carolina (another girl on the trip), and I had a two-hour adventure trying to get to our dorms. After lugging around atleast 80 pounds of baggage for what seemed like forever, we (eventually I must say) successfully took a train to the Amsterdam Centraal Station, Bus 22 from the station to Oostenburgergracht, and then stumbled the last two blocks to our dorms. Upon receiving our keys, Kayla and I soon discovered that we had no toilet paper in the bathroom, no running hot water (coldest shower I have ever taken!), and a faulty ethernet connection. However, we did not have much time to reflect on our situation as our Amsterdam group of UW students had made plans to go out for dinner at 6pm.

First stop: Restaurant/Pub for those that wanted drinks
I soon discovered (as we sat outside in the cold wind because our group was too big to fit inside the place) that besides me, maybe only two other people in my group don't drink. Being 19 I could legally drink here if I so pleased. As many well know though, I have chosen a lifestyle free of ever consuming alcohol. I don't feel uncomfortable around people drinking at home or at restaurants but it is not my scene to be at a bar or pub talking and drinking either. It should be interesting to see if that will be a common occurrence when in our large group.

Second stop: Argentinian restaurant near or in Amsterdam's very own Chinatown
My order consisted of a potato with sour cream & butter (a side dish) and bread with butter. I had a water to drink, which is not complimentary with your meal as it is in the U.S. for the most part. When paying as a group, I chipped in my 3 euro and about three hours later we left.

Third stop: Red Light District
When spotting Red Light District as we left the restaurant, many of the girls decided that we all needed to go see what it was all about. Surprisingly, the four guys on our trip were somewhat reluctant. I found the "window displays" to be disturbing and sad in the fact that most of the people on the streets were either just awkwardly staring or laughing and whispering with eachother. The prostitutes would either try to get the public's attention by dancing around, tapping on the glass, or even opening the window of their display, or they would simply pose and/or be smoking or drinking. I think that you aren't supposed to take pictures because it is rude when they are trying to "work". Picture taking may anger the prostitutes and they have been known to break tourists' cameras. I was fine with following this rule (?) as I did not feel like bringing home to my parents and family pictures of half naked women. After seeing this part of the city and how many "window displays" there are, I fear that I will not be up to the task of interviewing those parties involved for my research purposes.

Fourth stop: What now appears to have been a gay bar in the Red Light District
Feeling uncomfortable just being in a small bar with an open back room that must have been a back of the bar "coffee shop" from the smell of weed in the air, I soon discover, with the combined thinking of other students, that we must be in a gay bar. They were all guys besides the girls apart of our group, some were dancing drunk in the entrance together, and they all cheered when we entered as if it was unnatural for girls to be there. Tired and somewhat irritated that I had to tag along with the group when I just wanted to sleep and relax back at the dorms, I jumped at the first opportunity to go outside with others in hopes that everyone would soon follow.

Fifth stop: Supermarket
After buying toilet paper, Lisa (who had just flown in to Amsterdam and arrived when we were leaving at 6pm for the night) and I parted from the group to go back to the dorms. I was frustrated knowing that I couldn't leave the group until someone else wanted to because everything is foreign to me and I did not feel safe alone especially with no sense of direction. Thank God Lisa was tired!

Once back at my dorm, I worked tirelessly for atleast an hour trying to get the ethernet to function properly so I could email my mom and Vincent. There were many times throughout the night that I had wanted to cry because I was tired, hungry, jet lagged, and felt so far and removed from my family with no phone or working internet (except the occasional miracle). I also felt overwhelmed with my thoughts on how the rest of the trip would go with everyone wanting to party at night and me being the polar opposite wanting to be in bed by 7pm curled up with a book or playing cards. Once back at the dorms, I could finally let loose and stop holding back the tears of my frustration and feeling lost. When Kayla got back to the dorms with the rest of the group, I chose to unpack and organize to distract myself from my own self-destructing mind. I then facebooked and emailed my mom and Vincent for some support. Though I am not so optimistic (seen in my sleeping patterns last night: basically no sleeping whatsoever), they reassured me that things will get better. I have 27 days left here and though I do want the most out of the opportunity, I wish I could experience it with those I'm closest to in life. When my mom sends me the jacket I left at home (much needed in the Amsterdam rain and wind), I may need my Bible as well for that amazing guidance it can offer. I will continue to pray that things will start to look up from here.

PICTURES TAKEN 6.24.12


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment